3/26/20

When I was 5 I loved...

When I was 5 I loved:


  • Bradley. Brown-eyed with a flop of sandy hair. Liked to hold my hand.
  • A green bikini I wore on a trip to Mexico.  Paraded around as I munched on mangoes.
  • The stuffed Toto dog, greying from love with every passing month.
  • "Bienvenudo", my pet dragon, whom I imagined was on the end of my invisible leash.


When I was 10 I loved:

  • Zachary. Wrote it in my diary.  Told him in the closet and he said "Yeah?"
  • "The Pirates of Penzance", "Cats" and "Annie", whom I knew I would play on Broadway one day.
  • Rice Krispie Treats, hot, a spiderweb of marshmallows melting in my mouth.
  • Stickers that puffed out, glowed in the dark, whirled around on the page in my scrapbook.


When I was 25 I loved:

  • John.  Blue-eyed. Sexy, funny, sensitive. Drummer. 
  • The ginormous oak coffee table in which we could both fit.
  • Italian restaurant dinners, full of pasta and "Merlot" which I thought was the only type of red wine.
  • Gatherings at our apartment of women telling stories, making us laugh, strutting their wares.


At 50 I love:

  • Keith. My steady, silly,  soulful, soy-free soulmate.
  • Kale, sauteed. An emerald gift.
  • Any sign that the world might be a better place than I think it is.
  • The feeling of possibility when it's finally 72 degrees and I can think.






No comments:

Post a Comment